5.8.10

Wat?

I am needing to learn a new culture, but not a full immersion culture. I just need enough information to tell my children later in life about their culture. I am hoping to incorporate a few side dishes into my regular cooking routine. Not that I have a routine about cooking, but just a loose rotation, with some experiments. I enjoy cooking so much that my loving husband has gotten me cooking classes for our anniversary. Cool huh? So I am gonna try to make Atakilt Wat, a cabbage-potato-carrot stew. It is traditionally served over injera, but unfortunately I am not gonna attempt that at this time. I am gonna mix up some butter with some spices to make the nitr qibe, instead of ghee.

So the ingredients needed are:



  • 3 tbsp olive
  • 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 small head of cabbage, sliced 4 medium carrots, sliced thick on the bias
  • 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced ( I will use a press)
  • 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger root, finely minced
  • ½ tsp. curry powder
  • ½ tbsp. ground turmeric
  • 1 pinch ground cardamom
  • ¼ tsp. paprika
  • ½ c. water
  • 1 tbsp of the spice mixed butter

And the instructions:

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add all the veggies. Cook until softened, stirring often. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the spices and water, cover and bring to a boil. Remove the cover and stir well, then lower the heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has reduced completely, about 25 minutes.


And like I said earlier, it should be served warm over injera, but I am gonna attempt to make it a side dish to some chicken or beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment